Email


No Train. No Life!

Saturday, September 03, 2011

Game Day

Last night and this morning we had some crazy thunderstorms. It was drizzling a little when we were getting ready for work and we had woken up an hour later than we wanted to. I kept debating whether or not to ride to work and ended up not; though I later wish I did, but was happy anyway since we woke up later I would've not had time to read the paper and write.

Along with the rainy weather, it's game day in Nebraska which equals bad day for the economy unless you own a bar showing the game or around Memorial Stadium. All the stores broadcast the game as well in case you're that desperate for the play-by-play, yet dumb enough to not get your shopping done ahead of time.

What's worse than all this is having to go to the grocery store pre-game and have to deal with all these morons. It's a very irritating phenomena with this dumb-ass Huskers-mania. Every likes them and even ones who I never would expect to be fans I ask, "You're a Huskers fan?"

To which the reply is, "I'm from Nebraska." That's not a good enough answer for me. That's dumb if that's the only reason you love anything. No thoughts for yourself? I'm a Republican because my family's Republican. I'm a Nazi, because my family's Nazis. We're not allowed to think for ourselves and have our own opinions. But I'm also a cynical ass who can't just enjoy things, so maybe I'm wrong.

So I got to see Drea and Shane and their kids today. I haven't seen their newest addition and I haven't seen Shane in years, so it was good to see them all and actually talk to them. We're hoping to have some time soon to get together.

I hope we're able to have another child. I think it'd be fun and I think Ayana would love to have one and would be a great older sister and have someone to not be bored with around us.

I finished reading Girls to the Front (good read, though exposed too much of the behind the scenes play-by-play that took away from the power of the movement, at least in my eyes. Had scenes from Omaha and Jeanne knew some of them and one I knew from stories about a certain someone from both Bill Hoover and Drew. This person was only mentioned as "the boyfriend"),Audacity of Hope (second time reading this. I last read it leading up to the 2008 election and figured I'd do it again. All his critics should read this. They criticize and question his life and views and it's all here pre-presidential aspirations), The New Jim Crow (which is all right but there's a lot of biased things in here to fit her views. Even criticizes Obama for things which were discussed in his book which was referenced and said references explained what she was criticizing him about).

Current reads: Journey into America by (Admiral) Akbar Ahmed, Play Right Field by George Tabb.

Want to read Dick Cheney's memoir but will not pay for it. I'll check the library.

We got this Roku thing which allows us to stream Netflix on our TV. We don't watch TV, but this has the BBC and alJazeera. Both good and better at giving our news than America is. It's not all about us and how ethnocentric we are and oblivious to other cultures and religions. How can they see than all this anti-Islamic rhetoric and actions are on par with the KKK and such? Replace Muslim with Jew, Black, Jap, or any other minority name and it's all hate. It doesn't make sense.

There's all this stuff about the 9-11 memorial service and how they aren't letting this clergy dude say a prayer or something. They are saying that it's not a religious ceremony it's a memorial one. If they let a Catholic do a prayer, they'll also have to let ann Imam, a Rabbi, then each other religious sect. Of course that's followed by a bunch of anti-Islamic rhetoric.

If anything good can come out of 9-11 can it be that we can see the dangers of what an us-versus-them mentality can cause. How non-tolerance, ignorance, political disguised as religious fundamentalism, hatred and all that can be so destructive and divisive? We should use it to put all those behind us and move forward and not let those actions affect how we treat others, which should be with peace, love, respect, and equality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home