Email


No Train. No Life!

Thursday, June 06, 2013

Last night went well into the early AM but still nothing. It was suggested we go to sleep because sometimes the mother would be too exhausted that her body won't go into labor. There was another couple there so we didn't have access to both rooms, which would have been ideal so the kids could hang out there and go to sleep. Instead they were playing and watching TV in the waiting area and we just did our deal.

I ended up going across the street to Tony's Motel for a room. Cecilia had called to ask about being wheelchair accessible to which he replied that all rooms were. She was, understandably, dubious. I went there and knocked on the office door and he told me to come in. I try the locked door and he goes, "Oh," and comes and lets me into his smoky office. I ask about a room, needs to be wheel chair accessible and that we're across the street at the birthing center and just need a place to stay for a few hours.

He walks me into the first one, which looks accessible, then the second one with one bed , which he assures me is the better deal for a wheel chair, even though I told him there are three adults and two kids. So I tell him I'll take the first one and we walk back to the office. He says it's $86-something. I have only twenties and left my wallet across the street. He tells me he only has $6 and twenties. I tell him I'll be back and give him the $6-something when I get my wallet. Oh, by this point, I understood why he sounded the way he did on the phone; he's drunk. He asks me at this point, "Hey, you want a free beer? It comes with the room." I decline and tell him I'll be right back.

I go to get them (sans Jeanne) and go back. Ayana follows me into the office where I give him $7 and he gives me $6 and asks if that's what he owes me. I tell him that I gave him $7 so he should give me the twenty back. He tosses it on the desk towards me and says, "Ah, doesn't matter; I have lots of those." I ask for the room keys and he says, "What do you need those for?" He gets them and hands them to me and asks, "You want a free beer or pop or something?" I say no, because I don't want Ayana in a smoke-filled room and just then Cecilia rolls in and asks if they have pop. He tells me, also, for the third time, that the windows open so we probably should turn the heat on and close the window since it's pretty cold. I'll figure it out.

I get them settled in and change Ayana into her jammies and lay her down. I go back to the clinic and decide to sleep and come back.

This morning, after sleeping through what seemed like people welding and moving steel beams and stacking them....we ended up driving back to Rapid City to the hotel for the breakfast and shower. Did not want to shower at Tony's as the towels seemed to be just thrown in there like he grabbed them from a pile of something. There was also no trashcan in the entire room. I went to the front office to turn in the keys, but no one was there and it was locked so I left a note stating they were in the room on the microwave. We weren't attached to the room in any way as we paid cash and didn't give any info. So if I'm on the lam at some point in my life, Tony's would be the place to lay low for a bit. I mean, there was a sign on a post-it on the door for which rooms were unlocked and to just stay and pay later, per Tony.

Went up to Oak Park after walking around Whitewood and hiked up a short trail to the top. Really nice day. Still nothing, but came back and Jeanne (midwife) hooked Jeanne (regular wife) up to the monitor to check the contractions which were coming steadily and intense.

Some guy in Mitchell (according to the small-town-type newspaper here) had been arrested for voter fraud in the school board election.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home