Email


No Train. No Life!

Friday, April 20, 2007

"..."

There was a journal entry in Get In The Van where Rollins was talking about a show they did once in Black Flag where there were only a few people there and he had a bad attitude for the show. Chuck Dukowski took him outside and told him that it doesn't matter if there's one person there, that person came to see us and you play your ass off. I like that attitude and respect that.

It's one of those things that keeps bugging me thinking about it, because there was a show at Ted & Wally's and I forget what other bands were playing but Toys That Kill were playing. Toys That Kill was FYP and Todd was in some skate videos that me and my buddies were into. Toys That Kill were friends with my friend Jonah Ray who moved in with them and I hadn't talked to since a while before that and was interested in talking with them because I wanted to see what Jonah was up to and also see this band.

There's an interesting side note to this. Jeff came to visit me once in Cali and I was hanging out with my neighbor Jeri and her boyfriend Jason. They invited us to a party his friends in San Pedro were having. We went to the address given and we approached the houses and Jeff said, "I think we're at the wrong place. These are all hipsters."

I agreed but we headed on and it was the right house. So we were hanging out and stuff and I overheard Jason talking to this guy that gave his friends X-mas presents which were Ken-type dolls of his friends. It was pretty awesome. Anyway, I started talking to this guy and found out it was Todd from FYP (later of Toys That Kill). Anyway, that was that.

Forward to the Ted & Wally's show, Justin and Fischer and all those guys came, because I think their friends' bands were playing or a band they wanted to see was there. Anyway they showed up. I cleaned up the stage area and set up and all that jazz and this girl showed up as well.

Her deal was that she was in town with her parents on vacation and she saw the flier for the show and she liked Toys That Kill and showed up. I told her that was cool that she showed up and how awesome it is to be in town somewhere on a night that a band you're into is playing a show. We talked for a bit and all that.

No one showed up for the show except Justin, Fischer, the workers, bands, and this girl. Toys That Kill decided not to play and head out to their next city. Justin was trying as hard as possible to get another venue going, somewhere with more people. Toys That Kill were not interested. I was really bummed out but I went to their trailer and told them we were trying to get stuff going for another show but they said, "It's cool, but we got to get going to the next city for our next show..."

I thought it was a lame excuse because if the show went on, did they plan their tour that bad that they were only going to play a two song set and jam out or something? Were they on that tight a schedule?

I told them to tell Jonah I said hi and I bought a record from them. Justin and I got in Kate's car and drove to the Brother's to ask Trey if we could have the show there. They were into it except that it would talk a few hours to set up there and since it was already like 10 in the evening it wouldn't work. We went back to our place with the bands, sans Toys That Kill, to hang out.

For the obvious reasons it bugs me whenever I think about that and know for a fact that I wouldn't ever do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home