Email


No Train. No Life!

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Fort Worth, TX

I guess it's better to have the air conditioning fixed, again. I talked to my fleet manager and he's going to try and get me into a new truck. It's that thing with trucks that's like a blackjack table. It's either hot or not, and when it's one or the other, it's to the extreme.

For instance, the first truck I had with this company was great until the check engine thing, but it was due for a service anyway so it wasn't a big deal, and we got a weekend in Kansas City as a result. But the entire time in that truck I never saw a terminal. I saw one of the service yards, but only to drop a loaded trailer there and get another one. But never a terminal and never needing to get serviced.

This one, just like the one from the other company, it's just one thing after another and you keep taking it in for the same reason over and over again and that's frustrating for many reasons but mostly downtime, but mostly for having to look for an empty trailer after truck's ready and that fucking sucks.

Need to go grocery shopping soon. Need to order more books and DVD's and CD's and need to send in Minidisc recorder to get fixed.

Last night sucked because of no a/c and not being able to drop load early and having this black dude cut in front of me because I held the door open for him and he didn't have the fucking decency to let me check in first and I therefore was held back 20 minutes, which didn't matter anyway since, apparently, the load I had was some really arduous one that took them four and a half hours to unload and I got out at 0200 and the huge fucking truckstop was full to capacity, but I found a spot anyway.

but the whole thing wouldn't have been so bad if the a/c was working as I could've just gone to sleep for the whole duration and I just ended up watching season 2 of "Arrested Development" in 90 degree heat and eight million percent humidity.

Surprisingly we were able to sleep and the truck blew semi-cool air, which at first was blowing hot air but I called Road Service and learned how to calibrate it but that's the best that could be done. Without a/c, cooler air or not, the fucking humidity will kill you. Even a/c at the very lowest level will kill the humidity.

All right, I gotsta crash. I at least get to sleep in tomorrow but got a two pick-up run in the morning. It's all close by, but these things always fuck up but I'm in no rush and as long as I can get something good after that I'll be happy. I do like being in Texas. I do hate stupid people, which reminds me, I've decided to make another attempt at getting a coffee maker on board.

The last two attempts failed because the first one, made for the trucks that plugs into the adapter sucked. I mean, it's okay if you want to wait literally 45 minutes for a cup of lukewarm coffee. The second one was a good one that needed an adapter but it was broken and it fell and broke while driving through the wonderfully paved roads of Chicago's industrial area.

So we decided to just not have one. But the time for that has to end now because 1) It's obviously costing a lot, like $5+ a day which is just as well as smoking a pack a day and 2) I hate standing in line for 15 minutes or more for a cup of fucking coffee, which totally threw out the idea of getting a french press as you have to get hot water and stand in line to let them know or some places charge you for the cups.

A note about truck stops, there's always a line even if there's none or one person (I can tell you of this if you'd like). Trucker's have stuff that need to be scanned, authorized, and everything else that takes anywhere from 5-25 minutes or more. Employess at truck stops all have to get involved to solve one issue. Truckers are lonely on the road and as a result talk at great lengths to the clerks as if they are a bartender or the likes. No matter how long the line is. And it's stuff about truck maintenance, tire pressure, stuff that's been on their mind and no one else gives a shit about.

I need to stop. I'm getting really tired.

Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home