Email


No Train. No Life!

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Alabama, near the stateline

Saw Wonderland last night. Super good stuff. Added to that was a second disc that a the John Holmes documentary.

I got excited mostly because Paul Thomas Anderson was on it and the first thing he said on it was, "If it weren't for John Holmes I wouldn't have a job this year," which was when Boogie Nights came out.

I was confused. I read somewhere that Paul said that the movie wasn't about the Holmes, but continued to watch. The more you see and learn about the Holmes the more you see aspects of Boogie Nights even down to scenes in movies and interviews like when Wahlburg and Reynolds are talking and Wahlburg says that he lets him block his own scenes and stuff and Reynolds says, "I don't let him block his scenes." But it was the Holmes and his director (the Chinese guy, sitting there looking like a lizard) doing the same scene but replacing them.

I finally realized that the movie wasn't about the Holmes but inspired, because many things in the documentary were in the film but distributed to many other characters and Dirk Diggler wasn't fully what Holmes was, but it was the guy who couldn't handle success and got out of control on drugs and was insecure about himself and his big dick and that was the only thing he was known for. The way that he made the character different made him more interesting to me. The craziness that came from Holmes and his convoluted life is what gave Boogie Nights the amazing masterpiece that it was.

The actors, in themselves, are great characters and I'd pay to watch them sit at a bus stop for two hours.

I could go on about this, but I'm super excited. I've been wanting to watch Boogie Nights again for a long time, being one of my all time favorite films, and now more than ever, I need to see it again...I can't get it at a truck stop, though.

I wonder if they released the John Holmes series on DVD? I'd like to watch those.

I started reading this Dennis Miller book that I bought for $.59 at the thrift store and I don't like it. He gets irritating very quickly. Every two or three sentences he has to throw in those goddamn references and it starts getting very obscure and makes it seem as if everybody in the world knows who or what he's talking about.

Just the amount of times he uses them, which happens to be every other sentence, is irritating enough, but then it gets to a point you have no idea who the fuck he's talking about. It's like me going to anybody and be like, "...yeah. It's like, uh, Jack, uh, Johnson, getting pushed on the swings by, uh, Patty Albright...and the thing about immigrants..."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home