Email


No Train. No Life!

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

One of the main arguments that people always have against bicyclists and bike lanes is, "They already have a bike lane, it's called the side walk!" Or while riding, people yell to "ride on the sidewalk."

I always hate this because it's illegal and not safe. One reason for not being safe is the width, but in the park and bike trails it's wider to accommodate its use. The other reason for not being safe is that drivers typically don't look for bicyclists, let alone pedestrians. This has been illustrated by the trails that utilize sidewalks such as in Ralston and on Pacific between the Keystone Trail and Elmwood Park and every I go on those I almost get hit. I say almost because I don't trust people so I'm always looking and get near them to make them feel dumb, but so I don't get hit.

So today I'm riding on Pacific street's trail east and I check back and a car's approaching the right turn so I slow. Car turns. As I approach I glance back and a truck's (of course) going fast heading towards the turn. Now, if I were walking or riding south in the crosswalk, this truck would hit me if I weren't paying attention. This is where I usually almost get hit but I always see the cars coming and slow and am enough away not to get hit, but for them to see me and stop. It makes no sense because they go 45 mph into the crosswalk to look to turn. They look for cars, not pedestrians. That turn, unless the lights already green, is blocking the view of the crosswalk. So common sense would have them do the legal, logical thing and stop before the crosswalk, check, and then progress. But a lot of them don't even turn their head. I usually flip them off or yell at them and most don't even notice.

So back to truck idiot (and a study done by me finds that 90% of truck drivers are assholes and/or don't know how to drive) who I'm watching while approaching the intersection. I'm slow because I'm waiting to see him notice me. He does but only when he's almost going south. Meaning he's already made the turn and then notices me. I, of course, not letting him get the better, continue and just stare at him. He yells out something and I only make out "sidewalk," and I yell, "FUCK YOU!!!" and stop and look back. Fucker keeps driving. I hate people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home