Email


No Train. No Life!

Friday, December 16, 2011

hh;l;h


Blogged earlier today:

Before taking my parents to the airport we hit the beach. We headed back and my mom called to ask if we could stop in Chinatown to pick up some leis that were an issue.

Luckily we were just passing Aloha Tower and moved to the right lane and turned into Chinatown. She called back and while on the phone I made a few twists and turns and saw a sign that read "Otto Cakes." I hadn't thought of him in years and approached the stop sign while still on the phone getting directions and the lei shop was right on that corner. So I turned back around and found a parking spot and went to Otto Cakes.

It's a tiny shop, really cute, simple, done well up in a professional DIY fashion. Then Otto came up and I said, "Hey dude. I'm not sure if you remember me, but we used to hang out about 10 years ago; I'm Brett."

He looked at me, all straggily hair, messy beard, board shorts, and a lady and child. The gears were turning in his head as he began to register who I was and said, "Semper Fi!"

I totally forgot about that. We talked a bit and mention Cory (who I corrected was Tory and I have no contact with) and Sheri and mentioned his new band was playing a show Friday night and they were nominated for a Hoku (?) award. First punk rock band ever to be nominated. He also brought up the Pettyfords who had played shows recently but not in a bit. I mentioned that Jeremy lives next to my parents and is in Air Force Officers training to be back on December 20. He gave me a copy of one of their CD's. Cool.

WE ordered a cranberry cheesecake while he and Jeanne talked about their shops and the first thing he asked her was if she makes bacon ice cream. I didn't forget how great his cheesecakes were. His shop had an old, decorated by him register that's just as simple as it needs to be. He's still as awesome as ever and does it all himself not even with a mixer...all by a whisk. He handstamps each to-go container with his basic logo.

Talk about random run-ins. This is like how it is when I took acid or shrooms. I take it somewhere completely alone and away from anyone I know and head out and somehow I end up with and where everybody is. Or with people I haven't seen in years.

So that leads to me being at Longs in Kaimuki picking up bottled water and coffee for our stay at Uncle Dexter's. We're standing in line and I glance behind us and notice the dude in line and say, "Hey, Norm!"

He hesitantly looks at me and says, "Yeah," and then we go through the whole song and dance of the years gone by and ask about Jelly's since I hadn't seen them in several of the previous locations. He said there are two: one in town somewhere and the other by Cutter Ford Aiea.

There are Jellyfish approaching and the Obama ships out in Kailua awaiting the President's stay. I found where he's staying at, but I actually just want to take photos of the ships.

Went out to Makapu'u and hiked up to the lighthouse. Nice walk. I really wish I had my bike here, but luckily I have access to bikes, although they're mountain bikes.

We've got a Pearl Harbor visit and luncheon with the Miyamotos on Sunday afternoon and then a BBQ with Brian and Chuck folks that night. I need to call Mr. and Mrs. Wat to meet up and then Patryk.

Later that night:

Talked to Pat earlier. I haven't seen him since they played the Warped Tour which I think was in '98. Caught up and was just like old times. Gotta meet up with him later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home