Email


No Train. No Life!

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Turkish Prison

I don't know about Ben Weasel. He's seems provocative and pretty well versed in culture and music, especially punk rock. Though recent episodes of "Weasel Radio" seem to prove otherwise.

I don't mean to think that anything he says is scripture and he is omnipotent and all that. Far from it. I don't agree totally with anybody on everything, that goes without saying. But just some things musically just makes me wonder if he's aware of anything besides 70's metal, the Ramones, and Pop-Punk. Like not only has he not heard Roxy Music, he's never heard of them and doesn't know who they are.

That struck me silly as he talks about knowing all this shit about the Sex Pistols and read John Lydon's autobiography and in that it mentions a lot about Roxy Music and especially since he's all about knowing all this shit about what punk is and all that dumb stuff, he should've at least heard of them.

The other thing is the question about "Emo." He was talking about how dumb it was and the only thing he associated with Emo was Rites of Spring and Fugazi and in the background, Owen Murphy was playing "Waiting Room" and Ben, while talking, says, "What are we listening to anyway?"

Though anything to do with 70's rock, the Ramones, or current Pop-Punk he seems to be Chris Headley with it. Even though 95% of the bands he plays and supports all sound the same with a different singer.

Anyway, Jeanne and I just moved into our new place next door and across the street from my old places. I'm not sure who lives around here anymore but I ran into my friend Rody who lives across the street in Andy's (and I think Jeff's) old basement room. He's moving out, though. And this guy Cooper who used to live in Lawrence and I've met before through my old boss and he's friends with some of our friends.

Omaha is nothing interesting as far as fashion goes. Everyone looks the same and they all dress the same whether they are in the music scene or not. I'm not even sure that Urban Outfitters has anything to do with it.

It's the same at Whole Foods. Everytime I go there I just want to kick people in their heads. You got Dread-boy, Tattoo-sleeve boy, Indie-Rock everyone, yuppies, and everybody looks like they go to film school or are some sort of left-wing, arty, counter-culture dudes. You know everybody there is voting for Obama. You know because of their bumper stickers.

I think cars and their bumper stickers should be limited to one. If you have one "Live Green/Live Clean" sticker, we'll just automatically assume that you "Make Love Not War" and want to "Bring Home Our Troops" and "Fuck Bush!"

We had a vegetarian support group come into our restaurant the other week. The fact that there is one is pretty stupid. But the funniest thing was the one who pointed out to the waitress that the cheese on her salad was moldy. The waitress looked at here and said, "That's blue cheese." As if it were some other type of cheese we'd be that fucking oblivious to all that mold on it and send it out.

I got some Aaron Cometbus books and have been reading Double Duce. It's pretty good, as I thought it'd be and reminds me alot about Dewey Mansion.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeff of MargaretAndJeff said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Jeff of MargaretAndJeff said...

Speaking of fashion, the Chicago street biker types are not strangers to fashion sameness. But look at the picture of this guy who apparently got it all wrong:

The comments are vicious.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Mr. Breakfast said...

ROLF!!! That's awesome. He's like hipster-biker-guy from the future.

Either that or he's trying to fit into five different groups of people and doesn't have time to change clothes between hang out sessions.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Mr. Breakfast said...

There should be a sightings web-site for that dude. Everyone should take photos of him anytime they see him and post it.

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

1:42 AM  
Blogger Mr. Breakfast said...

A punch.

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home